Calathea Lancifolia Tall (65cm-1m)
This plant belongs to the family of marantas. It is native to the tropical areas of Brazil, where it grows and develops in places with a high level of humidity. It is highly appreciated for the colorfulness of its leaves. This plant is the perfect option to give a tropical touch to your decoration!
A common quality of calatheas is that their leaves react to the lack or presence of light by folding and unfolding with a characteristic crispy sound.
- Pot size: 18-20cm
- You will sleep better if you put it in your bedroom, as it will act as a natural humidifier.
- Calathea lancifolia is safe for pets and children. However, accidental ingestion of its leaves could cause a purgative effect on your pets.
- Light: this plant is happy to receive a lot of indirect light.
- Watering: 2 to 3 times per week. Make sure the soil stays moist, but not flooded.
- Humidity: it needs to be sprayed 2 to 3 times per week to maintain a good humidity level.
- Substrate: We recommend placing a mixture of mulch, substrate and sand in the pot so that the soil drains well. And also place the pot on a saucer, raising it with stones to avoid direct contact with the water.
- Fertilizer: to maintain the attractiveness and smoothness of its beautiful leaves, we recommend placing liquid fertilizer in its soil every 2 months.
What you should avoid
- This plant is shy and not very adventurous so the best will be not changing its location.
- Avoid excess light, since the sun burns its leaves.
- Excessive watering could “drown” this plant. Hold the lack of water better than the excess.
- Cold air currents do not suit him.
- People who suffer from dryness in the airways, nose and oral cavity, will find a great ally in this plant, thanks to its great hydro-regulatory power that makes it a natural humidifier.